Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Hola from the DR!
Today was my first day in the PT clinic here. I loved it!  The clinic is an outpatient clinic that is connected to the hospital here.  We worked with the head PT, Franklin, and he was great.  They provided this big lunch of rice and beans (and a meat that I could not identify-AND I just ate it anyway and it was good... big step for me!). Over lunch we sat and talked with Franklin and the two translators (we each had our own translator with us all day which was great because Monday at the nursing home that was not the case and it was super frustrating) and shared things with each other about PT and culture in our respective countries.
In the morning I saw a couple kids and a baby.  That was certainly outside of my comfort zone!  Surprisingly, I think I remembered quite a bit from class about how to work with the little ones.  The second toddler I saw was NOT my biggest fan and screamed the entire session!  He took to the translator and that helped calm him, but he did not want anything to do with me- that was difficult!  The adult patients I saw we all stroke patients but one.  Stroke is very common here- they have a lot of high blood pressure and it is not well medicated.  They were all the loveliest people you would want to meet and so grateful for any care you give them.  When I asked one woman what I could help her with, she stated that she needed more strength in her arm because she was not able to properly dip a cup of water over her head to shower (here a lot of people "shower" by dipping a cup into a bucket of water they keep in the "shower" and dumping it over themselves).  Very eye opening to see the contrast in "need" for daily living here vs. America. 
In the afternoon we went for a run through the city and visited one of the Solid Rock (the company that coordinates this trip and is housed here all the time is called Solid Rock International). coordinators that literally lives in the back of a castle and has a pet chicken (which I held).  Then we saw the enormous track and field area/"park" where all the Dominicans here play sports and run/walk on this giant track.  It was really cool- huge track, soccer, volleyball, and even boxing.  I ran one lap with a very fast Domincan and he was barely jogging while my two classmates and I were sprinting our butts off!  Cool experience!
We had a great meeting after dinner (food here is always awesome) where everyone shared stories from their day (groups are vacation bible school and construction in addition to PT) and it was amazing to here all the stories of how God is showing up for us daily.  Our fearless leader, Dave, even got quite chocked up talking to us.... was a moving and inspiring moment!!
Well, more later!  We are all tired and sweaty, but still have high energy levels and looking forward to another day!
Love you all, Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment